Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Non-Binary Banter





I'm sitting at an outdoor table at one of the university cafes. It's lunch time, so its very busy here at the moment. I had discreet look around, and it appears that I am the only person here presenting as a non-binary gender. That's not to say there isn't anyone else here that doesn't identify as either male or female, but I'm the only person in the vicinity presenting a 'genderqueer' exterior.


Hang on! you say. Where is all this 'non-binary'/'genderqueer' stuff coming from? What do those terms mean, and since when have you identified with them?


From wiki:


"Genderqueer (GQ; alternatively non-binary) is a catch-all category for gender identities that are not exclusively masculine or feminine—identities which are thus outside of the gender binary and cisnormativity.[1"


Whhaaaat? There are more genders than just male and female? Yes. Yes there are. Importantly, biological sex and gender are different things.


  Again, wiki comes to the rescue:

 
"The distinction between sex and gender differentiates sex (the anatomy of an individual's reproductive system, and secondary sex characteristics) from gender (social roles based on the sex of the person), or personal identification of one's own gender based on an internal awareness (gender identity).[1][2] In some circumstances, an individual's assigned sex and gender do not align, and the result is sometimes a transgender person.[1]


The Genderqueer flag:







So, as I'm sure you've gathered by now, I've decided to embrace my personal identity as a non-binary gendered person. That is to say, I don't feel that I belong to either of the male/female categories. Some non-binary people feel that they are a mixture of male and female (bigendered), or that they switch between them (genderfluid) or that they have no gender at all (agender, neutrois), I feel like I do have a gender, but it is completely separate from and outside the male/female binary. There is a new term "Maverique" for such a third gender, but it's not widely known/accepted:


http://maveriques.tumblr.com/maverique
http://nonbinary.org/wiki/Maverique


I know I know, there's so many 'new terms' and many people have voiced that so much terminology is getting stupid. However, I kind of like having a word I can use to describe myself, and its kind of validating and a way to relate to similar-minded people. However, for now I'm just sticking with "non-binary," because I think it's an overall concept easier to grasp for most people.


So how did I come to the conclusion that I am "non-binary"?


Basically, the more I thought about it, the more I realised ... the reason I've always felt so awkward about my body, appearance and personal bearing was because I was constantly trying to fit into a female norm that I could never really match, and also felt deeply uncomfortable with.
I think back to all those comments I got from friends (never intending to be hurtful) saying things like: "you don't seem like a girl" or "you're more like a guy than a girl." (*note: I do not identify with being a guy any more than I identify as a girl.) Although these friends were merely being matter of fact, because they did accept me how I was, it did also increase my uncomfortable self-awareness about my appearance and behaviour.  I wore padded bras all the time to try and make my breasts look bigger (I'm naturally very flat-chested), I wore tight clothes to try and look curvy and 'feminine,' I tried to act 'girly,' maintain a kind of submissive demeanor, even flirty - despite the fact that I'm also asexual and don't experience sexual attraction at all.
I wanted people to like me and be attracted to me, and I thought I needed to be feminine and desirable, to achieve that.


When I got a serious boyfriend (who is now my fiancé), I tried desperately to fulfil that 'female counterpart' I thought he was looking for. In short, I spent my whole adolescence and early adulthood pretending to be a straight female. And I almost completely lost myself in the process.


I had quite a severe identity crisis in my early 20's, which was diagnosed as "borderline personality disorder." I was severely depressed during this time, self-harming and suicidal (I made an attempt that landed me in the emergency ward, then a psychiatric hospital.) I kept doing things like wildly hacking off my hair with kitchen scissors in the middle of the night, because I couldn't make sense of who the person in the mirror was. I never once thought, hey, maybe I'm not heterosexual, maybe my gender isn't female...maybe I'm so conflicted because I've spent years trying to be something I'm not. Neither did I think: maybe it's okay to let go of those ideals and be something else, something true. Maybe I won't be rejected and abandoned for being me. All I knew was that I felt all wrong, and terribly empty.


When I discovered the term "asexual" and eventually came out to my fiancé, despite my worst fears he did not reject me, but accepted it and did his best to understand and make me feel comfortable in the relationship. When I first suggest I might not be "female" OR "male" but rather something else altoether, a gender unique to me, he just said: "Awesome! That's cool!" and when I said: "I'm going to cut my hair again and dress in male and unisex clothing, because I feel more comfortable presenting as androgynous, he said: "Do whatever you want, Tam.. whatever makes you feel good in yourself. It's all the same to me how you dress and have your hair!"


So, wow. I'm asexual, genderqueer and a sufferer of mood disorders. Yet my heterosexual, cis-male, emotionally-balanced fiancé loves and accepts me for exactly who I really am.


So I guess the message is: If you lie outside the social, sexual and gender norms, this does NOT mean that you can't or won't be loved by others.
Family, friends and partners - the people who are really important, and who are meant to be a big part of your life, will love you for you!


THERE IS NOTHING WRONG ABOUT YOU, and you don't need to be afraid to let go and be you.










~Tam~

10 comments:

  1. You taught me something I didn't know. Thanks for the education.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You taught me something I didn't know. Thanks for the education.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comment KB! Glad it was useful/informative :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was really interested in reading this as gender is the new thing in the DSM 5 and we've covered this last semester and how counselors approach people with gender difficulties to help them feel most comfortable with themselves. What I was interested in is the new maverique thing. I don't know about it in that I'm not sure if I'm sold yet. I don't mean this in an insensitive way and I'm sorry if I come off that way because it's really just curiosity. I feel kind of like it's weird to explain and they need to do more research on it because if you're not male or female then what are you? We can't say neither because biologically people are one or the other and society is one or the other because we only have males and females so it has me raising questions about identity and what is being neither because obviously a person is something. I'm having trouble from a clinical standpoint on what more than two genders means. It's sort of like a hippie thought of Yeah man, there are 30 more in the spiritual world lol but you get what I mean. It's sort of like an intangible thing. Could be that we as people need categories and labels. And then there's the question of if you do have BPD does that affect your decision knowing what I know about it? Or is this a separate issue and the gender identity exacerbates it in that you can't act and regulate yourself if you are expected to know which you are, male or female, because both has a pre set list of ways to handle things? It's really interesting for me to read and think about and I hope you won't think that I believe you have to be anything. I'll admit it's difficult for me to put myself in your shoes because I have things I identify myself as, like straight, white, female, Midwesterner, but all of those things really just make me a piece of the human patch work just as the person you are the cool qualities that make you you also make you a piece. I don't know, I don't really think you need to worry about it as much, being a lady and all that. :P you're you and I know for me at least, I think you're amazing and wouldn't care what you identified as as long as you were nice and none of the awful things we associate with crappy people. :P really cool read and I hope you didn't mind my excessively long post and thoughts. I want to be a good counselor and I want to understand how people feel on these issues and what it's like so I an be more helpful and sensitive to it. Also, your fiancé rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your thoughts Eve, I agree that the idea of gender being separate from biological sex is hard to understand if you've always been taught them to be the same thing. Which they are not: read wiki description above.

    As for the question "if you're not male or female then what are you?" Is a question I asked myself for ages. I came to the conclusion that I was non-binary. In fact, some cultures around the world have more than two genders. Some have three or even four genders. The fact is, not everyone fits into two polar opposite identities.

    t's also difficult for many to accept that there are people who lie outside the constructs put in place, such as straight vs gay ... I'm neither of those things. I don't feel sexual attraction at all, to anyone, never have. Yet I've been told by many that "asexual" is a "hippy nonsense" or "internet fad." In fact, its a descriptive word for someone who doesn't experience sexual attraction to anyone. It's a sexual orientation. Mine actually.
    In a similar way, I don't identify with male or female as a gender. i have no idea whether the 'maverique' thing will catch on as a term on its own, but I don't think that matters that much. But I do think it's important to recognise non-binary genders.

    "I don't really think you need to worry about it as much, being a lady and all that." - I know you didn't mean it, but that statement is actually very invalidating. I struggled trying to fit in as "a lady" my whole life and it was at least partly the cause of my identity problems and some of my mental health problems. So why it may not seem important to you, it's actually very important to me. In addition, I'm not a lady. Lol. Which is what this whole blog post is about!! Yes my biological sex is female, but my gender identity is non-binary. So the whole problem was with other people forcing gender on me, and my awful discomfort trying to fit in and warp myself into something I felt no connection to.

    I'm sure some people will keep telling me there's no such thing as asexuality and non-binary gender, and in doing so keep insistently trying to erase an entire portion of the population. Apparently we don't exist lol! But we do. And I think it's time society stopped denying everything and everyone that doesn't fit into these pre-conceived notions of gender and sexuality!

    I hope I didn't sound to angry, but it's very difficult to spend most of your life invalidating yourself, then finally accept yourself only to have other people invalidate you for it! :/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh goodness I didn't mean that lady comment to be invalidating. I meant that you shouldn't need to worry about dressing like one or acting like one because you're amazing as you are, women, man, or whichever other genders (which i'm still thrown on as they don't have a name) you identify as. I'm sorry that you were bullied about it and tried to be stuffed into a role. I apologize if it seemed like I was making it seem minimal, that was not what I was doing at all and my questions weren't meant to be invalidating either because it's purely curiosity. People don't talk about gender and it's difficult to have a conversation about it because it can run the risk ofingcome out as insensitive or unintelligent. I never claimed to have a way with words. I wasn't saying that you're not asexual either. One of my roommates in college was and she was happy to just hang out then go spend time alone after being with all of us and even preferred pets to people. She was never interested in dating men or women and we were all fine with that as long as she was. It's not hippy nonsense, it's just how some people choose to live.
    I don't know if you thought I was talking about hippy nonsense because of the asexual thing but what I'm saying is that I am not sold on more than two genders and that if there are more than that, it's difficult to wrap my head around. Obviously there's got to be a third but none of the others have names you know? It would be like walking up to a cat when you've only had a name for dogs and elephants and have only known dogs and elephants you're entire life but then there's a cat so what is it? I use animals as the example to make it more concrete and purely for description. I feel kind of like I have to back track or you'll be offended. Again, don't take anything I say as attacking, I just want to understand and explain myself as well. I don't know about non-binary gender. I don't know anyone who is non-binary so it's not like I can hang out and ask them questions or see how they relate to the world to get a better understanding but I do know that you have to live and let others live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Eve, gahh internet communication can cause some misunderstandings! :P Anyway, I have some links here about non-binary people, and a link to a new documentary thats being made about non-binary genders. It's certainly not a fad, and it's an identity incongruency that many people have struggled with before we even had a term for it. It's just as real as transgender people (male-female incongruency). Here are the links! :)

      Documentary promo: https://vimeo.com/54882939

      Youtube vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Z42a3JC0w

      Article about a two non-binary people: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-09-01/what-it-means-to-be-genderqueer/6727080?WT.ac=statenews_vic

      Genderqueer website: http://www.genderqueer.org.au/

      Delete
  7. Oooo thank you! I really am interested and I'm glad we got it all cleared up and you don't hate me :P thank you for the resources!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course not!! Sorry I snapped a bit and misunderstood. I think in the end, for me the non-binary thing is purely a personal feeling of identity.. I definitely don't go around saying "hey I'm not a girl or a boy" to everyone hehe. But knowing that about myself makes me feel better and more secure in myself and lets me stop worrying about how I 'present' my gender to everyone. I just wrote the blog because I thought that might resonate with some other people and help them in the same way :)

      Delete
    2. oh also I forgot! here is a great short online 'book' about genders http://www.thegenderbook.com/ :)

      Delete

I love to read comments xx